In a shocking incident a 43-year-old Mumbai based businessman died in hospital in Powai after he underwent a 12-hour-long hair transplantation procedure at a clinic. He died last week, more than 50 hours after he underwent the prolonged procedure.
The businessman, identified as Shrawan Kumar Choudhary, had attended a hair transplant session at a private clinic at Chinchpokli in central Mumbai on March 8. A resident of Sakinaka, he suffered complications soon after the hair transplant, a police official said.
Choudhary was taken to a hospital in suburban Powai, after he developed breathlessness and swelling in his throat and on face. He died on Saturday (March 9) due to allergic reaction in the hospital. According to police, the businessman showed symptoms of anaphylaxis, a serious life threatening allergic reaction. Police have registered a case of accidental death and further investigation is underway.
In his statement, the dermatologist, at whose clinic Choudhary underwent the procedure, said the businessman wanted to graft 9000 hairs in one go, which was against medical advise, the official said. Police are awaiting final postmortem report to ascertain the exact cause of death, the official added.