Russia demands immediate disclosure from US on deadly Moscow terror attack

0
344
terror attack in russia
Smoke rises above the burning Crocus City Hall following the terrorist attack in Russia (Photo: Web)

A horrific terrorist attack in Russia has left over 60 people dead while about 115 are injured. The attack rocked the Crocus City Hall music venue in Krasnogorsk, Moscow Region, resulting in the tragic loss of over 60 lives, with concerns that the death toll could escalate further, as stated by Russia’s Investigative Committee. Vital evidence, including weapons and ammunition, has been secured from the crime scene, with comprehensive investigations, encompassing genetic, ballistic, and fingerprint analysis, already underway.

Reports from the Russian news agency RIA Novosti, based on the accounts of its correspondent on site, depict a harrowing scene, with three unmasked gunmen in camouflage attire perpetrating the assault by indiscriminately firing upon concertgoers and detonating incendiary bombs.

“At about 20:00, several armed men in camouflage burst into Crocus. Footage published online shows people with machine guns cold-bloodedly shooting at point-blank range everyone who gets in their way and rushing into the concert hall. The same thing happens there. At the same time, one is holding an object resembling a smoke bomb in his hands. Between the second and third call, at least three men in camouflage and without masks ran through the stalls”, stated RIA Novosti.

The perpetrators swiftly fled the scene in a Renault car, evading immediate apprehension.

Viral image of alleged terrorists involved in Crocus City Hall attack

Putin pays condolences

In response to the tragedy, President Vladimir Putin conveyed his condolences to the victims and their families, wishing the injured a swift recovery. Deputy Prime Minister Tatyana Golikova relayed the president’s appreciation for the dedicated efforts of medical personnel in treating the wounded. “We together with [Russian Health Minister] Mikhail A. [Murashko] reported to the president on the state of health of patients, the president wished all a recovery and conveyed compliments to doctors,” she told the media.

Maria Zakharova, spokesperson for Russia’s foreign ministry, unequivocally condemned the attack as a “bloody terrorist act”, calling for robust condemnation from the international community. Although ISIS has claimed responsibility for the atrocity through its affiliated news agency Amaq on Telegram, no substantiated evidence has been provided to corroborate this assertion and it has not yet been confirmed.

The heinous attack has elicited widespread condemnation and expressions of solidarity from nations globally, including the United States, India, EU member states, Qatar, Egypt, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Armenia, and Azerbaijan.

Deadliest terrorist attack in Russia in two decades

This devastating incident marks the deadliest terrorist assault on Russian soil in years, surpassing the toll of previous atrocities. It unfolded on the evening of March 22 when gunmen initiated a shooting rampage before triggering an explosion, resulting in a fire that engulfed a significant portion of the Crocus City Hall building.

In the aftermath, firefighters evacuated over 100 individuals from the building’s basement and launched rooftop rescue operations. The attack stands as the deadliest in two decades since the Beslan school hostage crisis in 2004, which claimed the lives of 334 individuals, including numerous children.

US’ claim of sharing intel

Meanwhile, the US has stated that it had warned Russia of eminent terrorist attack after it issued advisory to its citizen in the country on March 7. Earlier this month, the U.S. Government had information about a planned terrorist attack in Moscow — potentially targeting large gatherings, to include concerts — which prompted the State Department to issue a public advisory to Americans in Russia,” NSC spokesperson Adrienne Watson said.

She went on to say, “The U.S. Government also shared this information with Russian authorities in accordance with its longstanding ‘duty to warn’ policy.” Although, Russia has not verified such claims. However, 3 days ago, Russian President’s remarked was aired in which he veiledly lamented US by accusing the West of “provocative statements” about potential terror attacks in Russia, and dismissed them. Reportedly, Putin said, “I’ll remind you of recent, let’s say directly, provocative statements of certain official Western structures about potential terror attacks in Russia.” He also said, “All of this looks like obvious blackmail and an attempt to intimidate, destabilize our country.”

Russia slams US for its denial of Ukraine involvement

Apart from that the statement of White House denying the role of Ukraine in the attack has also met with scathing response from the Russian side. White House has said that it had no initial indication that Ukraine was involved in a “terrible” attack on a concert hall in Moscow. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby, while giving the above details, also stated that the US had still been gathering information about the attack.

Responding to White House statement, Maria Zakharova, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson lambasted white House in an X post. She said, “The White House said it sees no indication that Ukraine or Ukrainians were involved in the terrorist attack in Moscow. On what basis do officials in Washington draw any conclusions in the midst of the tragedy about anyone’s involvement? If the United States has or had reliable information on this matter, it must be immediately handed over to the Russian side.”

“And if there is no such data, then the White House has no right to issue indulgences to anyone. All those involved, according to the Russian leadership, will be identified by the competent authorities,” she tweeted.

Leave a Reply