Two Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorists killed by Indian forces in Kulgam

Representative Photo

On 27 September , the Indian Army received an information from JKP [Kulgam]  regarding the presence of terrorists in Avhotu village of Kulgam District. Following this tip off a joint cordon and search operation was launched in the area by the Indian Army along with JKP and CRPF.

The army established a quick initial cordon around the suspected cluster of houses in the village which was subsequently strengthened by additional troops. On confirmation of presence of terrorists in the suspected house, priority was given first for evacuation of civilians from the cordon to a safe location. Thereafter, the Army unit tried to induce surrender of the hiding terrorists by making repeated surrender calls, however to no avail.

Following this the Army searched  the target house and it is reported that the terrorists resorted to indiscriminate firing in an attempt to break the cordon. The Army retaliated with effective firing, thereby foiling the escape attempt of the terrorists and killing one of the terrorists. In the ensuing firefight, one soldier sustained splinter/ricochet injury in the foot. The soldier was evacuated to 439 Field Hospital, Awantipura. Meanwhile, due to the indiscriminate firing by the terrorist, the gas godown in the vicinity of the target house caught fire, leading to multiple explosions. Considering the safety of civilian life, the Army and the JKP tried to douse the fire by use of water bowsers and foam sprinklers,  simultaneously maintaining an impregnable cordon. LPG cylinder fire was doused by the Fire Fighting team security forces, thus preventing loss to the property of neighbouring houses.

Later it has been reported that contact was re-established and a second terrorist was also neutralised owing to accurate fire of the troops. On search of the encounter site, two AK series rifles, Grenades and other warlike stores were recovered.

The JKP  identified the neutralised terrorists as Md Shafi Ganie, resident of Welsbatapura, Kulgam and Mohammad Asif Wani resident of Takiya, Kulgam. Both the terrorists were members of Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist group.

Leave a Reply