Balochistan: Pak Army continues atrocities in Dera Bugti

0
243
Balochistan's Dera Bugti District
Pak Army (Photo - Social Media)

On Sunday (10th sept), Pakistan Army launched a large-scale military operation in Pakistan-occupied-Balochistan’s Dera Bugti region. The search operation was conducted under the guise to recover the missing six “footballers” who was abducted by unknown individuals from the region a day prior.

Under the guise of security measures, the operation is taking place in various areas, including Sui and Uch, encompassing Gandoi, Sonari Matt, Sardar Pati, Bashk, Dam, and Laghar Dawan. The Army has raided houses and has forcibly detained ten individuals from different areas. They have been taken and detained to undisclosed locations. 

The ten detainees are Aziz Bugti, Suleiman Bugti, Sharif son of Ghaus Bugti, Farooq son of Brahim Bugti, Ali Bakhsh son of Ali Khan Bugti, Babal Bugti, Lota Bugti and his brother Deen Mohammad, sons of Jawansal Bugti, Mirzhan Bugti and his nephew Hashim son of Sori Bugti.

Baloch Republican Party (BRP) said that the use of gunship helicopters in the operation has resulted in multiple civilian casualties. While distorted and biased official sources claim a lower death toll, real reports suggest a higher number of civilians killed, along with the illegal detention of several individuals.

The Baloch Republican Party (BRP) confirmed that the Pakistan Army is continuously shelling and bombing the civilian population which has resulted in the death of at least five civilians. Internet services have been suspended throughout the entire Dera Bugti district, causing further distress to the local baloch population.

Disputed Reason for Operation

Interior Minister of occupied Balochistan, Sarfaraz Bugti stated that the operation was initiated to recover six kidnapped footballers who were abducted while traveling from Dera Bugti to Sibi. However, BRP’s Central Spokesman Sher Mohammad Bugti dismisses this explanation. He stated that the Paki establishment’s statements are merely scripts provided by higher authorities. He said that the Pak military is using the kidnapping as an excuse to justify its large-scale military operation against the civilian population in Pakistan-occupied-Balochistan. This operation is a cover up to stifle the dissent voices of Pakistan-occupied-Balochistan.

Military operations continued for the second consecutive day, and more than 50 military trucks of the Pakistan army, loaded with war equipment and personnel, are repeatedly reaching Sui from Sibi to take part in the ongoing operation.

Earlier in 2005, Dera Bugti had faced a tragic massacre, and Pak Army killed hundreds of Baloch civilians in the operation. And now the recent reports of Pakistan Army operations in the same region are deeply concerning. It resembles the violence of the same nature. 

The Pakistan Army has committed numerous atrocities, including daily home raids, disappearances, staged encounters, target killings, torture, humiliation at checkpoints, and kidnappings for ransom. Following the illegal occupation of Balochistan in March 1948, Balochistan has been fighting the war of its existence.

The operation is reportedly targeting Baloch freedom fighters, who have been fighting for independence for Balochistan from the brutal regime of Pakistan Army for decades. However, this operation is not only targeted to the fighters but also to the civilian casualties, as it had in the past. The world must not turn a blind eye to the suffering of the Baloch people, and it must press the Pakistan Army to retreat not only from Dera Bugti but also from Balochistan.

Leave a Reply